Today's headline good news is that Speaker Moore said the NCGA probably won't meet to vote on anything on Friday or Monday because of the predicted snowstorm. Kinda' sad when a predicted snowstorm makes us breath a sigh of relief... On to today's update!
Voter Photo ID
The NC Senate voted on Thursday to approve an amended House version of a voter photo ID bill, which now goes to Gov. Cooper. The governor has ten days to sign it, veto it, or let it become law without his signature.
Although it is not as odious as their 2013 bill (which was ruled unconstitutional), it is likely to affect people who are disenfranchised without doing anything to address the type of election fraud that is being investigated in NC-9. They added an amendment that will require a copy of a photo ID to be submitted with absentee ballots, although that would not have prevented the alleged ballot harvesting fraud in Bladen County - the harvester uses a smartphone to snap a photo as they pick up the unsealed, incomplete ballot from the unsuspecting voter.
We join Democracy NC, ACLU of NC, Equality NC, NC NAACP, and others in urging Gov. Cooper to veto this bill. Read the letter sent to the governor by the ACLU and Equality NC. Use this Democracy NC link to send your comment to Gov Cooper or call (919-814-2050) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) him directly.
NC Congressional District 9
This hot mess is getting hotter by the hour, and it's impossible to keep up-to-the-minute on it unless you're living on Twitter and following a dozen feeds.
WRAL has a good update as of Thursday afternoon:
- Democratic House Leader Pelosi says Congress could call for a new election.
- Incoming Democratic Whip, Jim Clyburn, says there SHOULD be a new election.
- Other Democrats have called for a Congressional investigation.
- The NC Board of Elections is investigating, although Republicans claim the current BoE is tainted and Gov Cooper should appoint a bipartisan task force to investigate. Note that this is despite the chair of the NC BoE, Kim Strach, being a long-time Republican and married to an attorney who represents the NCGA and BoE.
- There's a criminal investigation underway in Wake County.
Related info and news:
- Follow the excellent shoes-on-the-ground reporting of Joe Bruno and the WSOC-TV team for frequent updates on the investigation.
- The N&O and Charlotte Observer have aggregated their coverage of this story if you have a subscription to one or the other.
- Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight created a new prediction category for this race: Leans Prison.
- David Graham of The Atlantic: There’s Finally a Persuasive Case of Election Fraud, and Republicans Don’t Care.
- Lisa Sorg of NC Policy Watch: Never voted absentee before? You might have been a prime target.
- CNN and MSNBC (Jake Tapper & Rachel Maddow) are doing a good job covering this, as is Washington Post.
They're not dead yet, despite the snow break.
For one thing, they have to figure out how to create a legal state Board of Elections pretty darn quick; we can't wait to see how they try to stack that deck while staying an atom's breadth this side of yet another lawsuit. Possibly some significant changes to those three-judge panels that have been saving the state, tucked away. We'll continue to do our best to keep you posted, so check back on Monday.
Have a good weekend, stay safe!